Escape The Bunk was by far the most popular activity we offered our camp clients in 2018 and 2019. Without fail, at every camp where we ran this exciting program, several campers told us it was the best activity of the summer.
Here’s how it works:
- About an hour before the program is scheduled to begin, all campers and staff are cleared from their bunks.
- Under the supervision of a staff person you designate, we go from bunk to bunk and place items inside. These items include:
- A locked bin
- Some written instructions
- 5 or 6 items that are “hidden in plain sight”: items that look like they belong but actually contain clues (i.e. an article of clothing, a book, a picture on the wall, etc.)
- A letter “written home from camp” which outlines the scenario, and also includes the first clue
- At the start of the activity, everyone gathers in a central place where we explain the rules, offer some tips, and set the scenario.
- Campers return to their bunks and wait outside for the signal to begin.
- Once they enter their bunks, they have one hour to solve the puzzles that await them.
- They will know that they have solved the last puzzle when they have found the Golden Ticket that admits them to the finish line.
- At the finish line, they pose for bunk photos with signs proclaiming what a great job they did!
This activity is usually conducted as a bunk vs. bunk race, and prizes are often awarded to the winners. However, we have found that the prizes are not needed, as the excitement of solving the puzzle is reward enough. At one camp, I sat with the director in the courtyard surrounded by all of their bunks while the activity was going on. Since everyone was inside their bunks working on solving the Escape, the camp was eerily quiet. But the silence was broken by loud cheers from within the bunks each time a difficult clue was solved.
At another camp, a head counselor burst into the office while the activity was going on, exclaiming, “I have never seen these kids work together like this!!!”
Changing things up:
Every summer brings brand new scenarios, with no repetition from anything your campers have experienced in previous years.
Covid safety precautions available for this event upon request:
- SCE facilitator on stage explains rules at beginning
- In stricter environments, rules can be explained via a video
- Equipment can be wiped down by SCE staff between uses
- All setup complete prior to campers’ arrival for activity
- Upon request, we can train camp staff to do setup. In this case, we would not need to enter camp at all.
- Click here for details about Covid safety.
Contact us for more info:
What are you trying to accomplish?
Browse our services by category...